Study: Midsize cars and utility vehicles to make up 60% of new car sales in 2013

Filed under: ,

Midsize cars and crossovers make up some of the most popular new vehicles on the market, so it shouldn’t be too surprising to see a recent study from Wards Auto that found the D-segment will account for the majority of new or redesigned vehicles over the next three years. What is surprising is that the study indicates that almost 60 percent of all new-car sales in 2013 will be comprised of midsize vehicles, including popular models like the new 2013 Honda Accord.

Sales of midsize sedans like the Accord are expected to make up around 36 percent of next year’s sales volume while mid-size crossovers are projected to take a slightly smaller piece of the pie accounting for 23.3 percent for a total of 59.3 percent. This figure will be much lower, but still very significant, for the 2014 and 2015 model years making up 31.2 percent and 43.6 percent, respectively, of all vehicle sales.

We know new-for-2013 cars like the Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima and the 2014 Chevy Impala are either already here or will be on the way soon. Wards Auto also says the Chrysler 200, Subaru Legacy and Honda Insight are being or will be completely redesigned in 2014, with the Toyota Prius and Hyundai Sonata receiving significant styling updates. On the midsize crossover side of things, the larger Hyundai Santa Fe and the introduction of the Subaru XV Crosstrek are the highlights.

The next closest vehicle segment in 2013 will be the small cars and crossovers slice of the pie, at around 15 percent. In 2014 about 30 percent of new vehicle sales will come from redesigned pickup trucks, which include the new full-size and mid-size pickups from General Motors, a revised Nissan Titan and a new Ford F-150.

Midsize cars and utility vehicles to make up 60% of new car sales in 2013 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.